Under 5 Energize
Under 5 Energize is a new and unique project working with Early Childhood Centres and Kōhanga Reo to improve children’s physical activity and nutrition. The philosophy of the Under 5 Energize initiative aligns and synergizes with the principles of the Project Energize (primary school) programme.
The objectives of the project are to:
- Increase the amount and quality of physical activity of 0-5 years at home and in early childhood settings.
- Raise awareness of the importance of fundamental movement skills and movement literacy.
- Improve foundational skill development of babies and children under 5 years old.
- Raise awareness and promote nutrition and physical activity for mothers and families.
- Work towards consistent nutritional and physical activity messages in all aspects of the community.
The main goals and messages are:
- More active play every day
- Water and milk as best choice
- Fewer sweet drinks
- Daily fruit and vegetables and fewer energy-dense snacks
- Less screen time
This service does not work via referrals. Te Korowai Hauora o Hauraki, in partnership with Sports Waikato, is implementing the programme throughout the Hauraki District, covering Thames, Ngatea, Paeroa and Waihi. The Under 5 Energizers work closely with early childhood centres and organisations associated with early childhood, pregnancy and parenting.